Wednesday, December 21, 2011

If you have something nice to say, by all means Say It!

If you're having trouble viewing the pics in this email, please click here.


Lily loves books!  This book is "What is Christmas?" and shares that explains how Christmas is all about Jesus!

Today we celebrated our second Christmas with Lily.  Yes, it's early.  But we're headed home tomorrow to spend some time with family for the holidays, and we wanted to have a celebration with just our little 3.  Last summer I heard a pastor articulate an idea we've been trying to cultivate in our home for the last year, albeit slowly.  Growing up, we were always taught "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."  However, the positive articulation of that is also true, though never stated.  "If you have something nice to say, by all means SAY IT!"  Since Lily was born, I've thought a lot about what would happen if the Lord were to take me home suddenly.  What would she have of me?  I've thought the same for my wife, and the answer is, only what I leave them.   So, for Christmas I wrote them both letters, cards that contain my memories from this year and verbal expressions of my love for them.  May I encourage you to do the same for those who are closest to you?  Whether it's been a difficult year, as ours has, or a pleasant one, take time to write down how much you love them, and tell them why.  Tell them what they do that makes you proud, and share a memory or two from this year that illustrates it.  The letter can be as long as you like.  I promise they'll read it!  Letters are a simple, almost outdated form of communication in the age of email, texts, and tweets.  But physical letters can be preserved in a way email cannot.  The feel of holding a card or letter written to you with words of love will never be replaced by a typed message read on a cell phone, kindle, or ipad.  And perhaps most importantly, they can survive long after you're gone.  This year, please don't take it for granted that those you love know it.  If you've got something nice to say, by all means say it, spit it out, write it down!  

The cedar chest.


Lily is too small to read her Christmas cards from her mother and I this year.  So for Christmas, we got her a small cedar hope chest that we hope will preserve these letters until she's old enough to appreciate them.  Until then, we intend to be faithful to write them each year. 


Meredith and I would like to wish you all the merriest of Christ-centered Christmases, and thank you for all of your love and support.  We'll be driving to Wendell tomorrow to visit family for the holidays, and we appreciate your prayers as we drive.  I'll be preaching New Year's Day at Central Baptist in Wendell, NC.  I appreciate your prayers as I prepare to preach.  We're very much looking forward to seeing many of you in the next week or two! 

Merry Christmas,
Daniel, Meredith, and Lily 

Lily likes to "help".  She's figured out the stool lets her reach more things.  Not good ;)

We made treats for our neighbors for Christmas.  I made my first ever batch of peanut brittle.

Peanut butter kiss cookies are great!


No comments:

Post a Comment